Tuesday 4 November 2008

Microsoft Azure.... the blue loo

Microsoft announced it's Azure service last week. In their words Azure is a tool that allows you to "Build new applications in the cloud - or use interoperable services that run on Microsoft infrastructure to extend and enhance your existing applications". From our, the BI developers', perspective Azure is hosting not just data but also Visual Studio solutions ie developing and deployment within the cloud.

Not that it's limited to Microsoft tools and environments of course.

So I immediately joined the CTP for SQL Services. I've downloaded the SQL Data Services SDK and have been placed on a waitlist for access to the cloud.

From what I can tell so far, you can use REST or SOAP for CRUD operations and LINQ for queries. Interestingly, there is no 'schema' as such - new properties can be added to entities as required - no need to add a new 'column'. What that means in practical terms I'm yet to find out. I suppose it will become apparent once I can access the cloud.

More info will follow shortly.

No comments: